Tuesday, December 10, 2019

2019 Central America Cruise: Introduction

The only countries I hadn't made it to in Central America are Nicaragua and El Salvador, but not for lack of trying.  In January 2016, Brenda and I went on a Central America cruise that was supposed to have stops in those two countries, but both stops were canceled due to heavy seas.   Then in early 2019, I booked a land tour to Nicaragua, Guatemala, and El Salvador, but the tour was canceled because not enough people signed up.

After the 2019 tour was cancelled, I did a search to find any cruises that stopped in Nicaragua and/or El Salvador, and found one with Crystal Cruises, on the Crystal Symphony.  Crystal is normally way above my pay grade, but I figured this was the only way we were going to get to Nicaragua and El Salvador, so we went for it.

The cruise ports were as follows:

  • Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica
  • San Juan Del Sur, Nicaragua
  • Acajutla, El Salvador
  • Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
  • Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
  • San Diego, California



Before we boarded the cruise, we spent a night near the airport in San Jose, Costa Rica.

Let's go!

Next: Days 1 and 2--Costa Rica