Sunday, March 11, 2012

Into the Laotian Countryside (11 FEB)

For a map of my travels, click here

First stop today was a trip to an elephant sanctuary for the second elephant ride of my life.  I got a full 45 minutes on the elephant, which was about 35 minutes more than I really needed.   The trip included a crossing of the Nam Khan River next to the sanctuary, which was interesting.  The elephant has a "saddle", which is kind of like a chair, and there is a bar across the front, so there's no danger of falling off.  My only fear was looking like an idiot.  My fear was justified, as the picture below shows. 

Countryside near the Elephant Sanctuary

Local boys doing some fishing

An offering at the Sanctuary

My ride

Bwana Moose--they provided the pith helmet, which is not comfortable

Laundry along the river bank

Crossing the river (obviously the rider in the picture is not me)

After the ride, it was back to Luang Prabang for lunch.  I took a walk on the wild side and ordered some deep-fried river weed.  A bit on the greasy side, but anything deep fried is good.  Not only was the food interesting, but the view from the restaurant was spectacular.

River weed and fried rice


View of a temple from the restaurant

A couple of monks going about their business

After lunch, according to my tour brochure, I "will visit local villages of Lao ethnic minority groups at Ban Ouay, a Hmong village, Ban Ou a Laoloum village and Ban Thapene, a Khmu village".  So, first stop was Ban Quay:


Ban Quay Village

Inside a house at Ban Quay.  One room, filled with smoke, but it did have electricity.

Ban Quay

Ban Quay

The water supply at Ban Quay

The next stop was "Ban Ou a Laoloum village and Ban Thapene, a Khmu village".  Unfortunately, I only remember one village after Ban Quay, so I'm not sure which one the next few pictures are from.

Spinning thread at Ban Qu or Ban Thapene

Local Housing at Ban Qu or Ban Thapene
After the villages, we continued to Kuang Si Falls, about 20 miles south of Luang Prabang.  It was pretty crammed with tourists but the falls were really nice.

Future Laotian soldier at the falls

There was a bear sanctuary at the entrance to the falls

Lower part of the falls

More from the falls

Upper part of the falls
After the falls, it was back to Luang Prabang for an evening walk and dinner.  I decided that it was finally time to eat some serious street food, so I went to the food stalls at the night market.  I got more food than I could possibly eat (including a full rack of ribs) for about $10, including about a liter of beer.

Night Market in Luang Prabang

Dining at the food stalls
Having survived my meal, I wandered back to my hotel (which was next door) and prepared for tomorrow.

Here are some random shots from the day:

On a boat to the elephant camp

Using the local transportation

Activity along the river

River transportation


The view from my lunch table in Luang Prabang

Ban Quay

Ban Quay--not as primitive as it first looked

Ban Qu or Ban Thapene

Ban Qu or Ban Thapene

At Kuang Si Falls, where we made sure not to parking

Kuang Si Falls

A picnic at the falls

At the falls

Night market in Luang Prabang

At the night market food stalls

At the night market food stalls

What a Laotian keyboard looks like
Next: A stroll around Luang Prabang, and on to Hanoi.