Saturday, March 3, 2012

Trip to Southeast Asia: Intro

In February of 2012, I took a 3-week tour to southeast Asia, specifically to Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia.  As with many of my previous trips, my wife found the itinerary a bit too exotic for her tastes, so she sent me off on my own.  I made arrangements for a solo tour through Indochina Odyssey Tours (IOT), a company I highly recommend.   IOT arranged tour guides, hotels, and flights within Indochina–I just needed to make arrangements for getting from the USA to Bangkok to begin the tour, and from Bangkok back to the USA to end the tour.

Never missing an opportunity to add a new country to my list, I booked flights to and from Bangkok to go through countries I had never been to (Ethiopia and South Korea), and arranged enough layover time so that I would have time to take day tours of Addis Ababa and Seoul.

Here is a map of the Southeast Asia part of my journey (click on the map for a larger version):



So, bright and early on February 4, I strode into the terminal at Dulles Airport to begin my journey…..