Sunday, October 7, 2012

Scotland and Iceland: Intro

After I abandoned Brenda to travel solo to Southeast Asia earlier this year, she demanded that I take her to Scotland and Iceland.  I (not reluctantly) agreed, and we headed that way in September.  Iceland was a new country for me (number 88), and if Scotland ever breaks away from the UK, I guess I can add that as a separate country.

We took advantage of a deal with Icelandair that give you a free multi-day stopover in Reykjavik if you fly from the U.S. to any of the European cities that they serve.  It turns out that their fare from the U.S. to Glasgow beat all the other airlines anyway, so it was a no-brainer.  So, here's the itinerary:
  • 05SEP--RDU-->Boston-->Reykjavik-->Glasgow, arriving in Glasgow on September 6, and immediately taking a bus to Edinburgh.
  • 06-07SEP--in Edinburgh
  • 08-10SEP--tour to Scottish Highlands and Isle of Skye
  • 11-12SEP--in Edinburgh and a day trip to St. Andrews
  • 13SEP--Fly to Reykjavik
  • 14-17SEP--Reykjavik and various places in Iceland
  • 17-18SEP--Reykjavik-->Boston-->RDU
And here we go.......