Monday, August 12, 2013

Great Plains and Canadian Rockies--Intro

In late July 2013, we went to South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and North Dakota, in that order.   There were several reasons for the trip:

  1. In addition to trying to get to 100 countries (I am at 92 as I write this), I am trying to make it to all 50 states.  As of June 2013, I had been to 49 of them.  Unfortunately, number 50 was North Dakota, which is not exactly on the way to anywhere else, and going only to North Dakota didn't seem like a wise allocation of my travel dollars.
  2. When I was in graduate school in Political Science, one of the few academic openings in my area of political science was at Black Hills State College in Spearfish, South Dakota.  I considered applying for the position, and the more I thought about it, I realized that I didn't want to be in a profession where I had to even consider spending the rest of my life in Spearfish, South Dakota.  Fate intervened, and a few days later I got a job doing computer programming, and the rest is history.  But after all these years, I have wanted to visit Spearfish, to see what I missed.
  3. In 1990, we took a trip to the Canadian Rockies.  The first day was spectacular, and then it rained for the rest of the trip.  Below is a picture from that trip of me in front of Athabaska Glacier. Since then, we have wanted to go back there and see what the glaciers really looked like.

The glacier is back there somewhere

  1. We are big fans of the Canadian TV show "Corner Gas".  (You should be a fan as well--see http://www.youtube.com/user/cornergastvshow.)  It turns out that the series was shot in a small town in Saskatchewan, and they have preserved the set and props in the town.  So, we added the town of Rouleau, Saskatchewan, to our itinerary.
  2. I had to go to Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, to see the world's largest moose.  The reason for this should be obvious.  
So, here's our route:


Next: Wall Drug and Badlands National Park