Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Siem Reap and Angkor Wat--Day 2 (22 FEB)

Up bright and early the next morning to return to Angor Thom and see a few structures that I had missed the previous day.  To be honest, by this time, I was unable to tell Temple A from Palace B, and I gave up trying.  Instead I just focused on the magnificence of it all without attempting to tell you what each building was.  Just remember that all of this was constructed about 900 years ago, even before the internet.  So, here we go:

Entrance to Angkor Thom











Late in the morning, we returned to Siem Reap for a brief visit to some craft markets, and lunch.

Craft market in Siem Reap

Craft Market in Siem Reap

Lunch at Cafe Indochine in Siem Reap--highly recommended

Time for last-minute crocodile shopping
After lunch I rested at the hotel, and around 4:00 we went back to Angkor Wat for sunset.  I saw pretty much the same stuff I had seen the previous day, but the angle of the sun was better for photography.  Here are a few highlights--remember that these buildings were constructed before television was invented!












After saying goodbye to Angkor Wat, I returned to Siem Reap, where I had dinner and wandered into a small mall near my hotel.  I bemoaned the fact that I had spent all that money on real Cambodian food, when I could have had a cheeseburger!



Coming up next -- Siem Reap, Seoul, and Home